A blog is actually something like a diary which you might want to share with a few people. And things I write here are neither limited to a few things (or names, places, animals) nor do they cover everything under the sun. Nevertheless, it is more personal than is general. People might find delight in reading blog, writing them or just.. (what else can they do??)

And here is my blog, open to you all and wanting readership, though not desperately!

So why don't you just go ahead and read through.. :)


Wednesday, December 24, 2008

An older neighbour

I was traveling a certain distance by bus one evening when a boy of around 12 years came and sat by my side. I still had a good half an hour of travel ahead of me. I was in a communicative mood, just when a middle aged person appearing sick asked this boy to shift a little to his right so that he can sit down.

The boy murmured something to himself indicating his disapproval of the suggestion. I put my arm around him and pulled him to my side and quipped, 'You pay for only half a ticket.'

No, I pay for full.

Oh, is it? Why is it so. You can pay only half charge.

He didn't respond.

'Where do you belong? Which is your place?', I asked.

'Tumkur', he said.
Tumkur, by the way is a 'not a bad' city sharing borders with the Silicon Valley of India.

I have stayed in Tumkur for a while. You know this place called Mallasandra, I have been there. Also, I have been to Siddagange many times for the annual Jaatre which happens there. You have been there anytime?

He didn't respond.

'Have you travelled by trains?', I asked him.

He nodded his head so as to indicate a 'no'.

The conversation wasn't going anywhere. I stopped asking him questions. There was a pretty girl standing at a distance who caught my attention and kept me occupied for some time.

A few minutes had passed before my neighbour suddenly exclaimed 'I was working here too for sometime', pointing at a hospital.

'As what?', I questioned.

'In the canteen', he said.

Oh!

(Silience for a minute or two)

What were they paying you?
Two thousand

How old are you?
He thought for a while and said 'Sixteen'.

I was moved by his answer. I unconciously shook my head as a few thoughts sprang up in my mind. I didn't question him anymore. I don't think he was too keen to answer either. On the contrary, I saw his keenness in trying to go through the magazine which was lying on my lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment